Garth Peacock
New Year - where to go?


Catching up with a local rarity

Friday 14th June 2024

Tanzania - Day 1 - Arusha

Monday 13th May 2024

Spring Tide at RSPB Snettisham

Saturday 13th April 2024

Things didn't go to plan

Friday 5th April 2024

Fowlmere RSPB Cambs

Wednesday 20th March 2024

Another trip to Norfolk

Tuesday 12th March 2024

Frampton Marsh (again)

Tuesday 5th March 2024

Snettisham RSPB

Tuesday 20th February 2024

A new destination for me

Monday 5th February 2024

A change of plan

Tuesday 30th January 2024

Three hours at Grafham Water

Monday 22nd January 2024

A strange week overall.

Friday 19th January 2024

Norfolk Coast

Tuesday 16th January 2024

New Year - where to go?

Monday 8th January 2024

Coton Cambridgeshire

Wednesday 20th December 2023

Back to Burwell Fen

Saturday 9th December 2023

Short-eared Owls

Monday 4th December 2023

View Blog Archive >>
Monday 8th January 2024

Last Thursday, 4th January was my first opportunity to excercise my trigger finger  in the new year but where to go?

I fancied the Canvasback at Abberton but that had relocated to an area where photography appeared to be difficult if not impossible - not worth the trip.

Norfolk was another possibility but reports showed nothing to get excited about. In any event, due to the very heavy rains in the previous few days, flooding was another hurdle.

So I decided to go to Frampton Marsh to see if the long-staying Lesser Yellowlegs was still there. Arriving, I was surprised to see that half the car park was flooded, as was the surrounding wetland. In fact, the usual wildfowl was paddling right next to the car park like this Shoveler.

Not too distant, there was a bank of earth showing above the flood and the Lesser Yellowlegs was feeding up and down this - not good for the sun but decent shots were possible, although with the close shady bank as a backdrop - not ideal.

It then disappeared so I moved on but nothing was really within camera range on the reserve except for this female Goldeneye, feeding outside Reedbed Hide.

Just after lunch, the weather changed rather suddenly. Heavy clouds rolled in from the south/west so it was time to make an earlier than expected departure for home.