Garth Peacock
Wardy Hill Cambridgeshire


A week in pictures

Tuesday 8th September 2020

The last few days of August

Thursday 3rd September 2020

Recognition at last!!!

Wednesday 19th August 2020

The last couple of weeks

Monday 27th July 2020

A disappointing day.

Monday 6th July 2020

Another week goes by!!!

Monday 1st June 2020

Lockdown continues.

Saturday 16th May 2020

April lockdown

Thursday 30th April 2020

Local bird photography

Monday 20th April 2020


Friday 3rd April 2020

Could be the last one for a while.

Wednesday 18th March 2020

We are into March already

Monday 9th March 2020

Wednesday 12th February 2020

Thursday 20th February 2020

Slimbridge WWT Gloucestershire

Wednesday 19th February 2020

To end January 2020...

Thursday 30th January 2020

View Blog Archive >>
Saturday 21st June 2014

Little Owl has become a bogey bird for me over the years. Only once have I managed a siting where half-decent photos were possible. Even a trip to northern Spain, where Little Owls were supposed to be everywhere, produced nothing.

This story started on Wednesday evening when I ran into a friend of mine who suggested that I look at his website as he had been photographing - yes, of course - Little Owls. Couldn't tell me where as it was a private site. Fair enough.

Getting home and checking the local Cambirds bird information service, I saw a message from a farmer and birder in the north of the county saying that he was surprised how many Little Owls were nesting in his area. A quick e-mail to him asking for help produced a swift reply on Thursday morning and some directions.

Although it was cloudy, and with nothing else to do, I decided to carry out a recce to see where the sites were for light, parking etc. The first drive produced nothing but I noticed a half-dead tree close to where I could park and stopped for a coffee.

Not long afterwards, a Little Owl flew to the tree from a nearby tree. I sat for an hour or so, just watching - and was surprised to have a pair of Grey Partridges fly onto the track right next to me. Although they were wary, I managed some shots before they took off.

Then back to the real subject. I moved the car closer to get into position and it promptly flew back to the other tree but returned after half-an-hour or so giving me several opportunities for some decent shots.

It was now past 6.00pm and with a sunny evening, it started to feed but I had to leave to get home for the footie. Well that was a disappointment - I should have stayed with the Owl. Anyway, I will try again with another sunny evening next week and see if I can get some flight and feeding shots.

More images in the Recent Additions section.