Garth Peacock
Romania Day1 - 8th June 2019


That's the end of 2019 for me.

Friday 20th December 2019

Disaster strikes

Monday 2nd December 2019

It's still very hard work

Saturday 9th November 2019

A quiet month overall

Saturday 2nd November 2019

Week ending 11th October 2019

Friday 11th October 2019

A quiet week

Friday 4th October 2019

A week of mixed fortunes

Tuesday 1st October 2019

The final catch-up

Tuesday 10th September 2019

Post Romania

Wednesday 4th September 2019

Romania Day 7 - 14th June 2019

Saturday 17th August 2019

Romania Day 6 - 13th June 2019

Friday 16th August 2019

Romania Day 5 - 12th June 2019

Wednesday 24th July 2019

Romania Day 4 - 11th June 2019

Thursday 18th July 2019

Romania Day 3 - 10th June 2019

Tuesday 9th July 2019

Romania Day 2 - 9th June 2019

Monday 24th June 2019

Romania Day1 - 8th June 2019

Friday 21st June 2019

Great Grey Shrike and others

Thursday 6th June 2019

View Blog Archive >>
Friday 21st June 2019

On 8th June, a friend and I departed on the 08:30 Ryanair flight from Stansted to Bucharest to start a 10 day photographic holiday organised by  Sakertours. Last year we went to one site, Primera Frontiera, but this time we were moving around for greater variety of species.

After collection from Bucharest airport by our first Sakertours guide, Szabi, it was a three hour drive to our first stop at a village called Sinoe in the south part of the Danube Delta where we were to stay for two nights. As this was a photo trip, there were just two others on the tour, an American couple who were on a 3 1/2 month trip to the Middle East and Europe.

Having arrived at the hotel and with some sunlight still available, Szabi took us to a disused quarry to try to photograph Pied Wheatear that were nesting there. Taking photos from a mini-bus with others bouncing around is not easy, especially since we had to shoot out of a side door, hand held. The birds did not come close but I managed some shots that were worth keeping as it was a new species for me.

There was also a juvenile Northern Wheatear around that did venture a little closer.

but by then the evening light was fast disappearing so it was time to return to the hotel, especially since we were to start the next morning at 04:30, and Romania is 2 hours ahead!!!